This adobe structure was originally used as a horse changing and water stop for passengers en route from the railroad station to Florence, and beyond, when it was built in 1879.
In 1913, Rancher Juan Verdugo would convert it into a homestead. Later he would add an additional room and raise the roof. It was around this time a small schoolhouse was built nearby.
In 1920, the property was given over to the State and would be used as a bunkhouse and for storage until the late 1980s.